Mandarin is one of the most spoken languages in the world!
English isn’t as popular as most people might think. Currently Mandarin and Spanish are the most spoken languages, and with the UK becoming more global learning a language is becoming more important. Some might be more attracted to learning Spanish as there is a common misconception that Mandarin is hard to learn. Well, let us reassure you that it is not. In fact, many find the language easier due to Chinese grammar being fairly similar to English grammar. Not only that but it has been found that British students find pronunciation easier than those whose first language is French or Italian, for example.
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” – Nelson Mandela.
The fact that Chinese is easy to learn isn’t the only benefit to speaking the language. Check out the other benefits we have found:
Six benefits of learning Mandarin:
- Chinese is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, as we have mentioned earlier. Countries such as Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Mongolia and more all speak Mandarin.
- By learning the language you naturally take an interest in the rich history and culture that China has.
- Learning any new language can result in new international friends! The Chinese people are very friendly. By showing you have made the effort or attempt to learn their language will go a long way.
- Learning the language can be good for business. Whether you have a business and would like to expand into the Chinese market or are employed. Being fluent in Mandarin is only a benefit. Knowing the language can also boost your chances of employment and provide you with opportunities you wouldn’t have had without knowing the language. A great example of this is Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook has spent the last few years learning Mandarin. He has done this as he wants China to allow Facebook to be used in the country, which it currently isn’t. Taking these first steps of learning the language has really impressed those in China.
- Chinese can improve your brain power! Did you know that Mandarin speakers use both sides of their brain?
- One of the top five languages needed in the UK post-Brexit. ‘Language is the future’ has identified that Spanish, Mandarin, French, Arabic and German as the top five languages the UK needs once we leave the European Union.
Six Celebrities who can speak Mandarin:
- Mark Zuckerberg – The CEO of Facebook
- Vanessa Branch – British Actress (First non-Asian Hollywood actress to star in a Chinese-speaking lead role)
- Bob Woodruff – ABC News Co-Anchor
- Emily Maitlis – BBC Newsnight host
- Kanye West – American Rapper
- John Cena – WWE wrestler